Thursday 18 May 2017

[Books] All The Light We Cannot See


Assalamualaikum.
Peace Be Upon You

2/2017
Tittle - All The Light We Cannot See
Author - Anthony Doerr
Pages - 531 (inclusive of acknowledgments)



I like how the author brings the characters back and forth, brings the time back and forth. I was so anxious as to when the main characters shall 'meet'. They eventually did on page 411 (the whole book is 520+ pages).
 
Hauntingly rich details, more like seeing a painting rather than words by words. I couldn't put this down and took so long to finish not because of anything else other than trying to absorb myself in beautiful sentences.
 
Having finished this book, I am afraid to start a new one. Afraid that it will be too pale in comparison with this one.

Quotes from the book..

So how, children, does the brain,
which lives without a spark of light,
built for us a world full of light?

You know the greatest lesson of history?
It’s that the history is whatever the victors say it is.
That’s the lesson.
Whoever wins, that’s who decides the history

See obstacles as opportunity.
See obstacles as inspiration.

Don’t you want to be alive before you die?

Science, is made up by mistakes,
but they are mistakes which is useful to make,
because they lead little by little to the truth.

Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever

When I lost my sight, Werner, people said I was brave.
When my father left, people said I was brave.
But it is not bravery, I have no choice.
I wake up and live my life.
Don’t you do the same?

Some grief can never be put right

Beautiful.
Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment